Thursday, June 23, 2005

miss me?

Don't worry, I'm going to make up for all those days I missed, in this one post. I'm going to tell you all about my trip! June 8th I left for a 12 day trip to Israel with 6 of my friends from church, along with about 50 other people.

Well If you've been reading this lately you'll see that I changed it. I was going to summerize every day of the trip but for one thing it was just taking way too long cause we did and saw and learned so many things and also I just don't really like recapping, I decided:) I'm just gonna give like some summerys for you to read and I hope you enjoy!

Random things that I loved/learned through and about this trip:
1. Being in a different culture. The eastern way of thinking is incredible! It makes so much more sence! One example that sticks in my mind is ways we view God. We, in America, love to describe God in theological terms like omnipresent, omnipotent, powerful, love, great... say that list out loud with your eyes closed. What did you see? Now say these words closing your eyes - living water, shade in the desert, gentle breeze, good shepherd. Those are the things God is described as in the Bible. Those are words that we as humans naturally understand without having to memorize definitions. We know what water feels like when you are hot or thirsty. We understand shade and the effects of a soft breeze. That's why God uses those words to describe Himself in the Bible.
2. I was also impressed with their traditions. We heard the phrase alot, "To be a Jew is to remember." All their holidays, prayers, services, everything is done remembering something and they don't forget. I don't really know how to explain that more, but that was so neat.
3. Lastly, they ask questions. I don't know what else to say about that either but I just know that in America we like to think we have it all figured out and are too proud to ask questions.

Basically this was an "in-depth Bible lands tour." The purpose was to lead Groups of people through Israel, learning about the land in which the Bible was written. The things that are there are the things that the people of those times understood. It was amazing to learn about things that I thought I understood but it started to make so much more sence. We stood in the ruins of many cities where kings, priests and "celebraties" of the Bible stood. We walked through the valley where Goliath was killed with one little stone. Walked through the wilderness where the Israelites would have walked, where David sat watching sheep all day, where Samson was raised. We went to towns where Jesus' disciples lived, traveled and preached. We got to swim in the Sea of Galilee and the Jordan River. We prayed at the Wailing Wall in Jerusalem. It was such a neat experience, hard to explain everything and remember everything we were taught but...wow. I'll leave for now but if you want to know more just ask!

No comments: