Friday, April 27, 2012

Grandma Says...

Sometime over the past year my grandmother (only living grandparent) and I have become pen pals and I am absolutely loving it. Not only is it fun to receive letters in the mail, but I also enjoy the opportunity to carry on our relationship in this way despite the 700+ mile distance. My grandmother has character and I love it. She can get sassy and critical, but after I am done being offended or laughing out loud, I always know that her comments are rooted in love and (usually) good intentions.  So, in a 'bless her heart' type of mindset, I've decided to start a little series of posts containing stories from her letters. I hope I can write them in a way that you might be able to enjoy these comments as much as I have! I will start with two letters as I have these two clipped to my cubical wall at the moment.

Grandma Says #1:

Not funny, but just a comment that I hold dear because of it's encouraging nature. Speaking about my inner city youth ministry she wrote,
"it reminds me of a song 'after all He's done for me, how can I do less than give Him my best and love for Him forever, after all He's done for me!' I also was reminded of the verse, 'only one life will soon be past; only what's done for Christ will last."
Grandma Says #2:

Now this letter came in response to my informing her of my plans to go on an orphanage missions trip to Kazakhstan this spring.
"I know you are so excited about your pending missions trip but I hate to see you expose yourself to all the dangers in a Muslim country like that. I would say - the Christians there could teach English if they want it... You are such a precious, valuable girl. Why expose yourself to dangerous air travel and possible life threats from Muslims there - use your vacation to come see me! I'm a good cause, don't you think?"
She goes on to say how she lays in bed worrying about me and is unable to sleep because of it.
"I know you trust God to care for you, but in this case, the mission doesn't seem a wise endeavor considering the conditions."

Like I said... 'Bless her heart' =)

1 comment:

Jennifer Onalee said...

This is adorable! And precious that you have a relationship with your grandma like this.