"Giving to those in need what they could be gaining from their own initiative may well be the kindest way to destroy people."
I'd love to have an in person group discussion on this quote but not being sure if this will happen.... What are your thoughts and comments?
6 comments:
totally agree. i don't think it's a blanket statement - meaning, i don't think you can apply it to EVERY type of charity. but in a lot of cases - i think it's true.
This is something I've thought about a lot. We are always surrounded by people in need and I really do think there is a balance to how we help. Is it a one time expense that came unexpectedly (broken car, fire, etc.) that the person could not have seen coming? Or is it a lifestyle... are they choosing not to seek out a job, better opportunities, etc. I agree with that article, sometimes it is the worst thing we can do. But it can be hard when you have the means to help and see a need... I think what is more worthwhile but harder is an investment in their life... encourage the person to succeed with their own hard work, stand along beside them and be a cheerleader!
First off, I love reading your comments. I struggle because Scripture instructs me that if I see someone who has no coat and I have two, I am to give one away... same with food (and other things). Simple as that, right? Maybe not. I've always wrestled with giving away money to beggars because, 'what if they use it to buy drugs or alcohol?' But on the other hand...what if they really need it for food or rent but I chose to keep it tucked away in my fully blessed wallet? How can we freely give without fostering an attitude of dependency? I guess we can just seek out opportunities that do allow us (or others) to stand by someone, let them know someone loves them, and because you love then you are there to give them a hand up, but not a hand out...
This is something I've been thinking about a lot lately, too. The ministry I work with has an interesting perspective on this, and I've come to appreciate it. I think it's a combination of adjusting my lifestyle away from one of excess to one that leverages my resources toward helping those in need and of realizing that my wants/needs usually pale in comparison to the needs of others. I do think there is a point where giving to the point of dependency can be bad, but inter-dependency (I need you AND you need me) may not be such a bad thing. For example, sponsoring a child is a good thing - we can't reach those children from here, but we can send money to fund those who are in a position to help children in need. We need people to be there helping these kids, and they need us to make that help possible. I don't want to keep rambling even though this is just the tip of the iceberg. Maybe we can swap ideas over a cup of coffee sometime...definitely good stuff!
I know this is an older post, but the topic is one I've discussed with others and thought about for quite some time. I know Grace has an active body of believers in terms of service focused inward and outward, and my church, Gospel Community, does as well. I've noticed quite a wide range of opinions and practices in terms of service so I wonder if there is a way that we could sponsor a community discussion/forum and let anyone from the area join? I think it would be interesting, enlightening, encouraging, etc.
Anyway - just some ideas...would really like to talk to my church elders about putting something together. Maybe even getting a few community leaders / church leaders to be on a "forum" or "panel" and then opening up for questions. ~ Jen Schmidt
Jen - if you talk to the elders or anyone at your church and something gets put together, let me know! I would be interested in that also and I could speak with our missions pastor at Grace about the work ppl from our congregation are doing in Lynchburg! I do love seeing all the churches serving, but you're right, I also see some dissension in who serves who and the benefits and complications it causes.
Post a Comment