I really appreciated that story because I know for me, I often times will view a situation and react through a lens of judgement and condemnation. How will I react to my children demeaning one another or somebody else? Will I immediately just say, "no" and send them to their rooms OR will I take the time to be sure they understand how important and special they are and teach why we value others? I realize that this is sort of a heart issue on my part and I pray that getting to know my Lord better and seeing others the way that He sees and values them, this will be more of a consistent practice and mindset for me.
"Hold everything in your hands lightly, otherwise it hurts when God pries your fingers open." — Corrie Ten Boom
Thursday, January 26, 2012
wow - I really need a lot of work, haha!
Last night at Life Group (Bible study/small group) someone was telling a story that had happened to their father in his childhood, and it really resonated with me as an interesting way of thinking/reacting. The story goes that this young man's father was approximately middle school age and while hanging out with some of his friends, his teacher (an older woman who was a really close friend of his family's) overheard him saying the f-word. Rather than punishing him or telling him what an awful person he was for using that language, she pulled him aside and lovingly and respectfully reminded him of how special he was and inconsistent it seemed for him to be using such a vulgar word.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment