"Hold everything in your hands lightly, otherwise it hurts when God pries your fingers open." — Corrie Ten Boom
Tuesday, October 20, 2009
run run run as fast as you can...
I realized I've never written anything about running. Probably because I've hated it for so many years of my life. I ran my first race in the fall of '07. I had just moved to Lynchburg and gotten a job working for ABC. Our station sponsored one of the most reknowned races in the city so we had a free 'team' that could enter every year. So happens that one of the weekend anchors broke her toe a few weeks before the race and was unable to run so there was an empty spot on the team. A couple of my friends in production somehow convinced me to run the TEN MILES that year with no training at all. I figured it was free so I may as well try it and see how far I could go, I didn't HAVE to run the whole thing, just because it was a race. Somewhere between signing up and the actual running, my friend Sally and I decided to run it together and decided it'd be a good goal to not worry about our time at all and just make sure we ran the whole way and didnt' walk. Crazy goal, but we did it and finished in under 2 hours. I had boughten brand new Brooks running shoes for the race of course telling myself that I was going to start running. I didn't. Next year's ten miler rolls around and Sally and I enter again after very minimal training. Finish again in just under 2 hours. Again... didn't keep running afterwards. This year ('09) I had made some friends over the summer who ran like crazy. That motivated me to start running more and actually learning about setting goals and training and such. I ran the 10 Miler with my friend, Sara, and we finished in 1:47 after our goal was 1:50! It was a great feeling to have set a time goal and been able to beat it! So all that to say, I ran my first trail race this past weekend - Liberty Mountain Deep Hollow 5k. My goal was 40 minutes because I didn't know what to expect with hills and everything and I fnished in 28 minutes!! It was so fun to beat a goal again. So I guess you could say I've started running... it's pretty fun but I definitely still need motivation.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment