Monday, October 24, 2005

Supernanny...or not

"Nanny-ing" is such a strange job. Sure, there are parts of it that make it a great job, but on the other hand it is just so different than I would have ever guessed. It's been hard lately. I think a HUGE thing is communication between you and the parents, but that itself is usually really hard. How do I explain to 2 parents exactly what it's like to 'raise' their daughter every second for 10 hours straight, 5 days out of the week? There is no possible way for them to understand. They come home and ask if she was a good girl. Of course I say "yes". Except those few times that stand out where I feel I really need to try and expain their childs behavior to them. I try and explain the rough day by saying, "she threw a big fit right in the middle of the mall." They won't understand that unless they were there. Even if she's thrown a fit for them before, it's not the same. It's not like I can go on and explain the embaressment and "emotional breakdown" it caused, let alone those stares/glances you get from people who you can just tell what they are thinking..."that's what happens when teens get pregnant, they can't control their own children, they raise such brats, she's not even wearing a wedding ring."

It is so weird for me to make myself do things differently than how I have always dreamed I would do them when I raised my kids. Like when the parents tell you they have chosen not to use spanking, but you feel it may be best for her type of temperment and behavior. I have no idea where I am going with all this, It's just been a hard couple weeks trying to figure out my exact place. Of course I am going to punish her, try and not spoil her and raise her polite; but what happens when her parents come home and give her everything under the sun? I don't know, I think I should just quit thinking now, before I get too worked up;) I just hope someday I'll find someone who understands and will have some advice. I'm so attached I can't picure myself ever leaving (well except sometimes), and I don't want to (usually)...I just want the hard things to all be fixed to make this all better. Sometimes they call me "supernanny," maybe I should just dig my british accent out of the ol' closet, sit down with them and tell them exactly what I observe and what they should change;) hm, I wish.

No comments: