Thursday, October 20, 2005

More about my life with budgets (spending plans...)

You know what is just absolutely crazy to me? All that goes on in a month. I mainly am referring to my budget because that is what I am going through right now, but other things too! For an entire month before I started making up a budget I kept track of every penny that left my pocket. No matter if I paid for it with cash, credit, debit, direct bill pay...whatever, I wrote it all down. Just when you feel like you are a wise, "minimal" spender...try doing that. It was absolutely insane! Even by the middle of the month I was looking at the sheet at some of the things I had done at the beginning of the month and it felt like I had done that months ago! Granted, part of that shock may have to do with my wonderfully, inherited, ever-failing memory...but let's just forget about that right now.

So I guess what was happening was I was picturing friends and other average Americans going to the malls like every week and just blowing their wallets. I failed to realize that when I go out shopping those 2 or 3 times a month (much less often than those money wasting shop-o-holics, of course!) and spend alot of money, it's no different. Writing down all my spending was one of the best things I've done for myself in forever! I still have my weird spending stages where I go a while without shopping then when I'm in the mood I'll go and tend to splurge. But now, I just have this big picture in my mind of this list of expences that just keep adding up. It puts a great guilt trip on me! I love it! You don't know how many times It would be SO easy to quick drive thru Burger King, or call in a pick-up for Olga's but I've pictured this list and how fast they each add up and I'll just find something at home. Does anyone else do that?

Let me tell you one thing though, even if you don't plan on setting a budget budget, track ALL your spending for an entire month! Make sure you do it all though, down to the last stick of gum, or it's worthless. You realize stuff you thought you needed or could afford, you can easily do without.

2 comments:

Morris said...

If you found yourself a rich lady to be your girlfriend, your money problems would be solved!

Mr. Morris
Ask Morris

Mriss said...

I'm not deleting that last comment just because I laughed;) Yeah, sounds like good advice, maybe I should find a rich girlfriend...;) weird