Just to be a little more clear, here is how I define 'church bubble': attending every service and event that the local church opened it's doors to, sitting next to the same Christian friends always, cringing inside when the special music makes a mistake, serving by holding babies in the nursery once a month, saying I loved every body but looking down on people who weren't like me or my friends, appearing to do everything right so no one looked down on you, making the mistake of thinking that our church switching from pews to chairs is actually a big deal.
What's wrong with that picture?
Well, nothing really, but there is a whole other half (or maybe more) to this puzzle. There's so much more to Christianity than church and I really hate how narrow minded I had become. I didn't know how to love or serve any non-believers because I didn't know any. I took my salvation for granted. Everyone I knew and talked to was saved so why learn to defend my faith?
Something big was missing, I thought I knew everything it meant to be a Christian until God opened my eyes to the world. You know, the real world, the world that lies outside my bubble.
God's wonderful grace has never sounded more wonderful than singing next to a new believer whose past decisions have given her a true appreciation of grace. God's loving, protective hand has never felt more real than hearing a child you love confess their fear of family abuse. I've never felt His presence more than listening to someone tell their story of never being wanted or accepted by the people who should love you unconditionally. Seeing a family move to an inner city neighborhood because of their passion to show Christ's love to their neighbors. I can't totally undermine the church because it is a beautiful thing (when functioning correctly) but these situations that I've just described have been so much more beautiful to my soul. God really does love the lost and He really does ask us to love them as well. He really does want to help the helpless but He wants to use me, He wants to use you to do it.
"It is more blessed to give than to receive."
No comments:
Post a Comment