Wednesday, February 08, 2012

more than just 9 to 5?

"We may forget that our following Christ is connected to our work; [unbelievers] never do. They know intuitively that calling yourself a Christian should shape the way you handle yourself." - Jeff Manion, Ada Bible Church

So I listened to a sermon this morning from a series titled, "Commitments that matter."  I thought, 'oh, this will be great for me because lately I've been very aware of a struggle with making and keeping commitments.'  Well the sermon took a pretty dramatic turn that I wasn't expecting. However, I couldn't stop listening because he was speaking directly to something ELSE that I've found myself struggling with but this is more of a something that I thought I could sweep under the rug of justifications and call it 'good'.

Work. Good work. Not only when the boss is watching, but with sincerity of heart and reverence for the Lord. Doing whatever I do with all my heart because I am really working for God.

I have so many questions: How does this look? What if a lot of your workday is almost implied free time? If other co-workers bend the rules a little bit and no one says anything, does that mean it's okay for me too?

The thing I really need to keep in mind as I work my way through this, is this isn't written to make me feel guilty. The whole reason I am a God follower is to bring Him glory so that is why I would like for this attitude to be found in me.

"...so that God's name and our teaching may not be slandered."  1 Timothy 6:1b

No comments: