Wednesday, February 15, 2012

credit weight

I hate credit cards. It doesn't click with me. I've never held a balance so it's not that.  It's just the feeling of....never catching up, possibly? The idea that every month the things I am paying for, I bought last month (or 2 months ago!). The bill I pay this week has a purchase from December 18th! I can barely even remember December, that was SO long ago! I am trying to wean myself off of using the one credit card I own and go strictly to debit. Sure, I'll miss out on those reward points but as little as I use the card, I think that having my sanity back is more important than a $20 check every few months! The biggest problem I am running into by switching is that I am now trying to pay off those December and January purchases made on the card as well as anything I buy this month.  My paycheck can't afford all of that. I don't know the best solution. I could keep putting little things on the credit card but how is that helping my cause? I could take some money out of savings and promise that I will replace it. That's probably what I will end up doing because I am tired of not being able to occasionally go out with friends and buy dinner when they buy dinner. Credit can be handy and I am grateful for it at times, but it feels like a heavy weight on the shoulders that I just want to get rid of! I remember buying my first (pretty expensive) desktop computer in high school and signing up for the Best Buy credit card because it offered 0% financing for a year.  I started making the small monthly payments and I believe that lasted for one month before I couldn't take it anymore and just payed off the entire thing! Alright, that does it - I am on a strict budget until I get caught up and this shiny, blue VISA will be laid to rest in my dresser drawer at home (and if it comes up missing, I'm coming after YOU!) :)

No comments: