For some reason, we really like to use the holidays as a time to do something nice for other people... maybe we feel better about splurging on gifts for ourselves when we add a little something to our lists for someone in need. So we have Angel Trees and Santa's to Seniors, toy filled shoe boxes, coat collections and caroling in nursing homes. Why? Because we like to see the old peoples' faces light up when we hand them a homemade card or sing them a song, we like the idea of one more child in our community having a coat to wear this winter. But what I wonder is who is really responsible for these needs? Would there be as great a need to cheer up the elderly if their children and grandchildren visited them on a regular basis and loved on them? What if all parents took parenthood seriously and carefully guarded their marriages and worked to the best of their ability to provide for their children? I am not trying to sound like a judgmental Grinch but seriously, what if?
Alright, so I understand that if we were to all live according to the guidelines that God set out for us, we'd be a lot better off... but we know we live in a selfish, fallen world. So the next thing I wonder is what is the Church's duty when it comes to lonely seniors and hungry children? The Church is the body of Christ, right? His hands and feet. But the need is so great and what happens when those who are really responsible for a need don't step up to the plate? I look at the children on just one street in Lynchburg. They aren't being fed three meals a day, nor do they have all the winter clothes they need, or well heated homes to live in-and I wonder the last time they were hugged. I can't even take care of all of them, let alone the next block over. I am going to ask around and start doing a little research, but I am just feeling overwhelmed right now. I know the most important thing for me to do is to love them and show them Jesus. Maybe I'll be able to follow this up with another post with a few answers I've received on this topic.
No comments:
Post a Comment