Wednesday, November 02, 2011

lacking awe

I can't decide if it's more beneficial or 'harmful' to be taught all of the Bible stories from the time you can listen. I've realized how de-sensitized I am to so many of them. I mean, God commanded a man to go use his only son as a burnt sacrifice?? Are you serious!? If I had heard that for the first time as an adult, I'm not quite sure how I would take it but I do know it would take a lot of intentional thinking and processing. That, as opposed to skimming right over it with a "yeah, I've heard this a hundred times already" mentality. Or what about the story of Jonah? A fish swallowed the dude whole! And there was enough room in his belly for him to survive and he wasn't digested or anything but he was spit back up through the throat... that's some pretty crazy stuff! That doesn't even come close to mentioning all of the miracles that Jesus performed while on earth. I feel almost guilty for not having as much a sense of awe as all of these events deserve! Maybe this is just me who feels this way, and I'm not saying that I am not going to teach Bible stories to my kids... the Bible is full of advice to pass these stories and advice to your children, I simply wonder how I can change my current mindset and and 'train' myself to be in awe??

No comments: