Wednesday, October 26, 2011

adorn yourself with modesty and self-control

I had a great conversation with a friend last night regarding modesty.  She had the opportunity to be a part of a panel of ladies who sat before the guys on our local university's track team and answer any questions the guys may have.  She said they had SO many questions about girls and relationships but mostly she was impressed with their concerns over modesty.  They asked what their role is when it comes to their female peers dressing immodestly.  There are still guys concerned with this, concerned with keeping their thoughts pure before the Lord... but how many young ladies (and women) have slacked off on keeping up their end of the deal?  I know I have.  There have been points in my life where I've been extremely convicted of my dress and how it affected my guy friends; but I can see, as time has passed, I have made excuses and justified certain things that I shouldn't.  Why would I want to throw on a baggy sweater when I can chose this outfit that is a guaranteed compliment snatcher?  I know... I know... modesty doesn't have to be ugly, but my point is, there are many outfits in style that I am really tempted to buy.  I throw out excuses like, "well, if all the other girls are wearing it, the boys must be used to it and therefore have 'turned off' their lusting switch when they see us it."  That's when the Holy Spirit needs to throw up a big, "WHATEVER" sign in front of my face (and I need to heed it!).  So I need to keep my priorities straight, do I want men (Christians or not) to be lusting over my body that is supposed to be a temple to the Holy Spirit?  Not a chance.  I hope that honoring my Savior as well as honoring my brother in Christ will be way more important to me than any vain compliment I may otherwise receive.
Forbid it, Lord, that I should boast,
Save in the death of Christ my God!
All the vain things that charm me most,
I sacrifice them to His blood.


On a slightly unrelated note, I read this story this morning:
A neighbor was watching (my dad) as he planted dwarf fruit trees in our yard. "How long will it take for them to bear fruit?" he asked. "Oh, five, maybe six years," Dad replied. "Oh, I wouldn't bother planting fruit trees. I wouldn't want to wait that long," the neighbor said.
Dad was quiet for a moment. "You're already waiting. Might as well have some fruit to look forward to." 
I like that story, it's true about a lot of things.

No comments: