Jen says I need to post again. Last Saturday - Terrapin Mtn. Half Marathon. I remember I was pretty scared. It didn't really hit me till like the day before and I was just like, 'what the crap did I get myself into?' Well I couldn't think of any excuse to back out (especially since Dennis was running it as well) so we ran.
I hated myself at the beginning. It was cold, probably in the 20's, with frost on the ground. We started off and it wasn't too long before the sun began to rise, showing off the beautiful hills and valleys. There were some low lying clouds scattered through the valleys and when the sun hit those, it was just spectacular. I kept running... never warmed up really. Anytime my feet would warm up, we'd have to run through a river and I'd be wet until the next crossing. Speaking of water, there were some amazing waterfall views as well. I think if I am ever going to run another long distance, I want it to be on a course like that. It was challenging, yes. But when I compare it to the road half marathon from last fall, in Richmond, I enjoyed this one SO much more. Richmond was flat, so it would make sense that it would be easier... not for me. I think because it was flat, I had to excuse to stop and rest. I felt good when I finished Terrapin (not physically, but mentally) because I honestly felt that I had done my best that day. I ran many times when all I wanted to do was walk. I kept telling myself that I didn't pay $50 to go for a hike... so I ran. And I feel like it paid off, I had a goal time of finishing in 3 hrs 10 min and I crossed that beautiful finish line in 3 hrs 11 min. It was rough, and I won't forget some of those hills I had to climb or the almost torture of running straight down the mountain, but it was so worth it and I would encourage anyone who thinks about wanting to maybe run one, to train, and just run.
That was last weekend... we just had Easter weekend. It was such a beautiful weekend. Friday night I went to Dennis' church, Grace, for their Good Friday service. It was a really unique service and I enjoyed that a lot. It wasn't long so we headed over to LU to watch the baseball game, perfect evening for baseball. Saturday morning Dennis had a race at LU with 2 of the boys from his running club. Again, it was another great day to be outside, and his boys finished. I was proud of all of them. Sunday morning I went again with Dennis to church. I seriously wish I had video or at least photos to post from the service. It was incredible. It was the most memorable Easter service I've ever been a part of. It was a huge celebration. They had dancers, a cross up front that we all 'flowered' so much singing. It was great, it was different. I really enjoyed the service.
One more story...Sunday night was my first visit (for myself) to the E.R. Dennis and I were fishing the lake in the canoe. Thankfully we caught at least 5 fish before we had to head back. I had this decent sized large mouth bass on the line and because I has just let one go, Dennis recommended I grab this one by his bottom lip to bring him into the boat. I tried and he was SO
wiggly that we both sort of freaked out and he ended up catching my finger on the remaining barbed hook. It was a little scary once I realized how stuck I was to this stupid fish squirming around. D saved the day though and got the fish off and freed one of my fingers. He had to bring us back to shore though before he attempted to take the hook out of my finger. He cut it free to try and pull it out. The barb was too strong so we ended up in the E.R. They took X-Ray's of it to make sure it wasn't in the bone and eventually, in Triage room #3 the lady numbed it, cut the barb free, and got that silly hook out... next comes the E.R. bill. It was all fine, I didn't enjoy how drawn out the process was, but I am so thankful D stayed with me for it all. Interesting Easter Sunday =)
I hated myself at the beginning. It was cold, probably in the 20's, with frost on the ground. We started off and it wasn't too long before the sun began to rise, showing off the beautiful hills and valleys. There were some low lying clouds scattered through the valleys and when the sun hit those, it was just spectacular. I kept running... never warmed up really. Anytime my feet would warm up, we'd have to run through a river and I'd be wet until the next crossing. Speaking of water, there were some amazing waterfall views as well. I think if I am ever going to run another long distance, I want it to be on a course like that. It was challenging, yes. But when I compare it to the road half marathon from last fall, in Richmond, I enjoyed this one SO much more. Richmond was flat, so it would make sense that it would be easier... not for me. I think because it was flat, I had to excuse to stop and rest. I felt good when I finished Terrapin (not physically, but mentally) because I honestly felt that I had done my best that day. I ran many times when all I wanted to do was walk. I kept telling myself that I didn't pay $50 to go for a hike... so I ran. And I feel like it paid off, I had a goal time of finishing in 3 hrs 10 min and I crossed that beautiful finish line in 3 hrs 11 min. It was rough, and I won't forget some of those hills I had to climb or the almost torture of running straight down the mountain, but it was so worth it and I would encourage anyone who thinks about wanting to maybe run one, to train, and just run.That was last weekend... we just had Easter weekend. It was such a beautiful weekend. Friday night I went to Dennis' church, Grace, for their Good Friday service. It was a really unique service and I enjoyed that a lot. It wasn't long so we headed over to LU to watch the baseball game, perfect evening for baseball. Saturday morning Dennis had a race at LU with 2 of the boys from his running club. Again, it was another great day to be outside, and his boys finished. I was proud of all of them. Sunday morning I went again with Dennis to church. I seriously wish I had video or at least photos to post from the service. It was incredible. It was the most memorable Easter service I've ever been a part of. It was a huge celebration. They had dancers, a cross up front that we all 'flowered' so much singing. It was great, it was different. I really enjoyed the service.
One more story...Sunday night was my first visit (for myself) to the E.R. Dennis and I were fishing the lake in the canoe. Thankfully we caught at least 5 fish before we had to head back. I had this decent sized large mouth bass on the line and because I has just let one go, Dennis recommended I grab this one by his bottom lip to bring him into the boat. I tried and he was SO
wiggly that we both sort of freaked out and he ended up catching my finger on the remaining barbed hook. It was a little scary once I realized how stuck I was to this stupid fish squirming around. D saved the day though and got the fish off and freed one of my fingers. He had to bring us back to shore though before he attempted to take the hook out of my finger. He cut it free to try and pull it out. The barb was too strong so we ended up in the E.R. They took X-Ray's of it to make sure it wasn't in the bone and eventually, in Triage room #3 the lady numbed it, cut the barb free, and got that silly hook out... next comes the E.R. bill. It was all fine, I didn't enjoy how drawn out the process was, but I am so thankful D stayed with me for it all. Interesting Easter Sunday =)
1 comment:
Wow! That picture is so much clearer than the one you texted me. I hope your finger is not too sore! If you need a "hand" with anything, let me know! ;) Seriously.
Post a Comment