Friday, September 02, 2011

my destiny

"We are not destined to happiness, nor to health, but to holiness. Do I believe I need to be holy? Do I believe that God can come into me and make me holy? God has only one intended destiny for mankind— holiness. His only goal is to produce saints. God is not some eternal blessing-machine for people to use, and He did not come to save us out of pity— He came to save us because He created us to be holy. Holiness means absolute purity of your walk before God, the words coming from your mouth, and every thought in your mind— placing every detail of your life under the scrutiny of God Himself. Holiness is not simply what God gives me, but what God has given me that is being exhibited in my life."


Reading these pieces from Oswald Chambers' My Utmost for His Highest daily devotional this morning, I have to admit that as much as I love these words, I am SO not there yet. I, unfortunately, don't even strive for holiness every day, I forget, I get lazy. I want to, I want to so badly. It's going to take time and discipline. I can't slack off on disciplining myself in the character traits that God has given me. 


I want to grasp this, not only for myself, but I want to teach it to my children one day. I want to teach it to them in prayer. To pray for others and hope for their well-being, but most importantly to pray for their progressive path toward holiness. 

No comments: