Tuesday, May 10, 2011

be thankful

My shampoo bottle this morning said...
"100% vegan, gluten free, healthier than your average breakfast" 
  ...well maybe it didn't say that last line, but okay.

A couple things I learned in church on Sunday that are still with me... be thankful for fleas... girls often marry men who remind them of their fathers, and that's why momma's cry at weddings :)  He actually had a lot of marriage jokes - it started to make me question if marriage was so terrible that you just had to do something to make yourself laugh.  But back to the fleas.  He told a story of the morning Corrie ten Boom and her sister were taken into the concentration camp.  They had been reading 1 Thess. 5:18 as a family,
 "In everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."
Not long after that, they were essentially being led to their death.  As her and her sister were placed in their 'holding chamber', they were completely overrun with fleas.  Remembering their morning devotion, they struggled to be thankful for even the fleas.  They encouraged one another by singing and praying and soon noticed that none of the guards were coming to stop them.  Because of the fleas.  I've grown up knowing that command but really struggling to believe that when God says, "everything" He really means it.  I mean, how can you be thankful for your car breaking down and you having to pay for major repairs.  How can you be thankful for that individual who just treated you like dirt?  This story really touched me and I pray that I will remember it every time I don't feel like being thankful in all things.  I also need to remember that I may not always see results from this, I may not always be allowed to see what my thankfulness has accomplished, but I do need to obey.

No comments: