Wednesday, March 23, 2011

swimmin'

I have so much respect for tri-athletes now.  I don't know what i was thinking when I thought it 'wouldn't be that hard.'  Swimming is the hardest I think.  I keep going back and forth between getting encouraged, then discouraged.  I just don't know where I stand.  It's so hard to remember to do EVERYTHING correctly every time.  Keep your head down, relax your neck, push chest down, check your kick, reach as far as you can, slice the water at the right time, keep your fingers together, allow your body to roll side to side, don't bring your head out of the water too far to breath, don't hold your breath, exhale all the way when you're under water, stay alive.... there's so much to remember.  I've gotten a few tips along the way which have helped, but I don't know if they've helped a ton.  I still can't seem to breath unless I put my head all the way out of the water.  The lady said to keep one eye and half of my mouth in the water and just breath with part of my mouth.  I can't do that!  Water floods into my nose and mouth with every breath if I do that.  Maybe I need a nose clip.  She told me to get a swim cap because that keeps water from flowing off your hair and onto your face when you're taking a breath.  I went out and bought one ($10 is more than I expected it would cost) but didn't wear it this morning.  I look so ridiculous.  haha, I just need to wear it.  I do have an indoor triathlon this Sunday which I expect will give me a better idea of where I stand.  It's a little different in that you have a certain amount of time to do each leg and you are judged by how much you accomplish in that time.  It will be just for 'fun.'  It will really help me get used to what a transition is like as well as how to pace myself, how dead I'll feel when I start each sport.  From that point I'll only have a month to improve or change things up before the big race day, but it will help.  As long as my legs don't wobble out from underneath my when I step onto the treadmill.

No comments: