"Hold everything in your hands lightly, otherwise it hurts when God pries your fingers open." — Corrie Ten Boom
Wednesday, October 27, 2010
*thud*
So last night I suddenly woke up to this really loud noise, and wasn't sure where it came from. After sitting up and making sure that I hadn't been shot (hey, you never know in my neighborhood), I wondered if the noise was just in my dream. I heard Heidi get up and open her door so I figured she heard it too. We looked out my window to see if maybe a branch broke off and fell on our roof. I saw this huge lump and really long, creepy tail. Then is started scurrying around. There was an opossum on our porch roof. It was so big, and eww, I just hate opossums! (Heidi thought it was a rat. I said that I didn't want to live in this world any longer if rats could be that large) They just don't look cuddly and their tails remind me of a shaved, scaly cat. It was running from edge to edge, trying to figure how he was going to get out of this nasty predicament. We went to Heidi's room and looked out her blinds and there was another one, right up against her window! I guess that made sense though, I thought. Maybe they were siblings having a branch hanging contest. Or maybe they were married (b/c in my mind, they need the same rules as Christian humans) and just cuddling there all peaceful, and all of a sudden their branch broke. I don't know... either way, I'm sure they were both pretty annoyed (I remember thinking that these kinds of situations are where movie scripts must originate). After that I couldn't sleep. I kept imagining what could happen. They were right outside my window, what if they swat their tail at my window and busted in to get me? What if I went to leave for work in the morning and they soared down and attacked me from above (you know, like the flying squirrel type of dive). It was 2:30 in the morning, in my mind, anything was possible. Eventually I fell back asleep and woke up fully expecting to find them hanging by their tails off the edge of our gutters or splattered on the sidewalk. I found neither. I guess they are pretty resilient. I just hope they don't hold grudges.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
this is hilarious!! :D
and you are so right to assume the oppossums were married. it's only logical.
WOW :) I love your married possum story - glad they didn't attack you.;) we had one going through our recycle bin a few years ago. my mom wouldn't let me give it a cookie that i'd just made. haha. ...
Post a Comment