Friday, September 08, 2006

Slide on over JHBC...

Don't get me wrong, I LOVED my year at the Bible college in Jackson and I will never ever forget it but after just two short school days I do believe this coming year is going to be right up there on "best years of my life!"

In case I haven't mentioned, or you've forgotten, I just started a one year program at a small film school in downtown GR. And when I say "small" I am referring only to the size of the student body. I don't like even using that word to describe it because it makes the school sound irreputable and inexperienced and from what I've seen, it's anything but that. These people have a passion for film. In fact, it was their life before coming to teach here. They all have worked or currently work in the professional film industry in all different areas and have so many sweet contacts! We are going to be able to do some pretty sweet things this coming year, I'm really excited! The profs are so amazing. There are only 16 of us students in the program this year and they purposely kept it small like that because they want quality from us. They have really high expectations of our work, not to disscourage us but because they know that's how things work out there in the world and that's what people want to see. I've been amazed at how each one of them has taken the time to sit down with each of us students and have a conversation with us about what our dream is. What are we doing there at the school and what is everything we want to know by the time we are done in the spring. They have specifically talked to me about what I want to do and how they are going to help me in the class sessions, just giving examples and pointing out what will be specifically useful in that. Another thing that's cool is they set me up with a "student in residense" which are people who have taken a certain number of classes from the school before and are now working on their own but the school gives them office space in exchange for helping out some newbies like ourselves. Currently the school has 10 students in residence and they set me up with one super sweet girl who's name is Jessica. She has her own business right now and is doing alot of the things I think I am interested in. I am so excited to be able to spend time with her this year, learning. They call her my mentor, because essentially that is what she will be doing for me.

So all-in-all yes, it's a nerdy school where people make movie puns and quotes for hours at a time and call it "conversation" but it's enjoyable (to listen to at least)! I'm not nearly as much of a movie geek as they are but there are alot of fun people I have met and I am SO excited for this year which couldn't be any bigger answer to prayer seeing how nervous I was at first!!! Yea!

No comments: