Wednesday, August 02, 2006

The "C" word

"Our experience in the late-twentieth century seems to be characterized by a tremendous amount of fast-paced, confusing change. The problem with this is that change for most of us is unsettling. That's why we have established habits and favorite chairs and clothes, and we tend to eat the same foods and associate with old friends. A little change for the sake of variety is O.K., but too much change and we tend to get uptight.

Change, though, is part of life. Change, just like order, is in God's hands. Jesus is the Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. God is sovereign over all things, good and bad. There's no place for Christian despair about the future. We need not fear change. Remember, we know the 'end of the human story,' because we know the author and Creator God."

©Rex M. Rogers - All Rights Reserved



Just because this might be interesting to read in a couple months...
Number 1 reason I am nervous about going to school this fall - I will be the only one who has no idea what she's talking about!



No matter how hard I try, I can't think of why change is so hard for us. I was thinking about it a little last night while talking to a friend about how nervous/excited we both are about starting school this fall. Then this morning on my way to Ericksons, I caught the end of Rex's "Making a Difference" on the radio and it was about change so it grabbed my attention. I thought of how entirely true the part is about our established habits and favorites. It's kind of funny when you think of things we don't change. For example, I don't know why there is an entire section of pews in church that I have NEVER sat in besides being seated there for weddings, and another section I haven't sat in since High School. I don't know why changing things like that is so uncomfortable for me, maybe if I work on changing those "small" things I will be more apt to change the larger things in life.

Second, I thought of how true the last part of his sermon/speech was. Maybe you'll think it means something different from what I thought but I just couldn't help but contemplate that for a minute. If I am living life, always doing the same 'ol same 'ol because I am ultimately scared of "big" change, that's not really right. But being reminded of the "big picture" tells me that things can change, as long as I am not making a decision that would obviously sadden God, change could even be to my benefit. So bring it on!

No comments: