"Hold everything in your hands lightly, otherwise it hurts when God pries your fingers open." — Corrie Ten Boom
Tuesday, December 27, 2005
A.W. Tozer
Has anyone ever read/heard something and wished they hadn't? I was thinking about that again tonight while I was reading a chapter from a book by A.W. Tozer. I don't know if you've ever heard of him, I don't know that much about him either, but I guess I would consider him to be a very conservative, strong spoken(if that makes sense) Christian. As I was reading this particular chapter I found myself continually thinking..."preach it brother, that's what the world needs to hear, I like that..." then continuing on to mentally make note of some people in particular who should read it. Ever done that? I thought it was really good (and it is) so I thought I'd post it on here. Mentally I go ahead and write the title of my blog, "Just something to think about." Then it hit me; that annoying (yet gracious) voice saying, "This is Biblical, it's not saying, 'oh don't I look pretty, come enjoy reading me over and over and keep thinking about how nice I sound.' This is something you musn't just hear, it's something that deserves life changes." I think alot of people (myself definitly included) grow up with the idea of looking up those encouraging passages from the Bible and other books, writing them down on bookmarks and stylish paper and hand them out to people because we want them to feel that same warm feeling we felt when we read them. I guess what I'm doing essentially is lowering my convictions. I don't allow my heart to be convicted because I say, "oh, that's impossible; that just doesn't fit into our culture or my life at all, maybe someday when I'm married I'll move out of this rut and do something about it..." Ouch, I guess I say that one alot. It seems like today, even in our churches, we read commands and find our own little way of just watering them down, and I think we do it constantly. Stuff that doesn't fit into the waywe are currently living, cause we dont' want to change. So after all that, I'll probably have to go re-read the chapter and if you want to read it I'll e-mail it to you or something (It's on Christmas, so it kinda hit home being the holidays and all) but I'll have to do my part in changing this season that "brings so much religion and so little godliness." A.W. Tozer