Wednesday, January 02, 2013

reading lately

Have I mentioned that I've recently read this amazing, amazing book called Kisses From Katie? What a beautiful example of living out Christs love here on earth. A friend of mine often uses the phrase, 'being Jesus with skin on' and this young lady does an incredible job of displaying that. After initially falling in love with the Ugandan people on a short term missions trip, Katie Davis moved to Uganda in her early twenties in order to share Christs love. I love her stories, her passion to meet peoples needs, her heart. She left everything she had; her loving family, car, friends, boyfriend, and other American comforts to live in a poor village in South Africa where she can not even guarantee she will have electricity every day. If you haven't already, read it - there is nothing like reading a book about being obedient to Christ, written so beautifully by a heart that is everyday being obedient to Christ.

Another book I started just last week is called, A Severe Mercy. I'm only in the 4th chapter so I won't say too much about it but I have been very impressed. I generally am someone who is mainly comfortable reading books written by people like me, about people like me... they are easier for me to understand. This book is a little out of my reading comfort zone but it's worth reading it as slowly as I am, pulling out the dictionary every other page or so just to be sure I'm following where he's leading. This is no 'Christian romance novel' but it is a love story. A true love story between two young people (and eventually between God and each of their hearts as well). I've never seen a love so guarded. Often times I think we see love as something that just 'happens' and so we continue to 'let it happen' until something goes wrong and then we frantically search for and try to kill whatever is causing it to falter. I've been amazed at the measures they take basically from day one in order to guard their love from the many things that could easily sneak in and destroy it. I really look forward to finishing this book and it's another that I'd recommend (mainly because I've heard so many people I know recommend it.)


No comments: