Wednesday, January 06, 2010

legacy

I'm reading through a book my grandma gave to me. Last year I had her fill out "A Grandparent's Legacy" after I realized that she was my only living grandparent and by not doing this earlier, I'd missed out on SOO many stories, memories, and great pieces of advice.

I love reading about all the stories of her childhood. Trying to imagine life with out running water, electricity, phones and school buses is almost impossible for me - but the thing I love the most, is how she ties a Bible verse into almost every scenario. And it's not like she is writing on a topic and goes to a concordance to find a verse on that topic... no, she writes out her story and advice and a bible verse just naturally flows out of it. I don't even know some of them are verses until she lists the passage at the end. It's so precious and I desire that to be my heart.

Why is it that I feel my life is so much more complicated than hers is? Why do I think that I have so much less time to read and memorize scripture than she did? Why do I sometimes think of the Bible as being outdated and not as necessary? She has SO many great lessons in here and continually is pressing into my heart how absolutely important God's Word is. He wrote that to me... She keeps telling stories of times which were tough. I read them, I see the outcomes, I see how she was faithful to the Lord, I see how the Lord was faithful to her. It's an incredible testimony and I'm becoming jealous that it isn't mine. I pray that I never become too lazy to be faithful to the Lord. What better legacy could I leave to my children and grandchildren?

No comments: