Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Blessed...

Now when He saw the crowds, He went up on a mountainside and sat down.  His disciples came to Him, and He began to teach them saying:

Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heave,
Blessed are those who mourn,
for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek,
for they will inherit the earth.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they will be filled.
Blessed are the merciful,
for they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are the pure in heart,
for they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they will be called sons of God.
Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Matthew 5:1-10

I read this passage but it didn't really grab my attention until the last statement.  

"Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."

This passage is very familiar to me but I think that I've always thought it stopped after "persecuted."  Therefore, whenever I thought of those being blessed because they were persecuted, I thought of the Christians in China who are threatened, beaten, or murdered for their faith - not a Christian like me, sitting at a friends' dinner table, standing up for someone who is being mocked, or asking people to stop cussing and me being teased for it.  Now, I haven't done an extensive study on exactly what the word "righteousness" means, so I ought to do that... but if my guess is right, if we're standing up for what is right and being scoffed at, blessed are we.  

My Bible doesn't have a definition for the word, but it lead me to a passage in 1 Peter verses 12-14.

"For the eyes of the Lord are toward the righteous, and His ears 
attend to their prayer...who is there to harm you if you prove
zealous for what is good?  But even if you should suffer for the
sake of righteousness, you are blessed.
And do not fear their intimidation, and do not be troubled..."

There is so much I have to learn and to grow in, but one of those is definitely to be zealous for what is good, and not to fear the thoughts and feelings of people.  This will tie in somewhat with my next post, something that's been going on in my group of friends lately.

No comments: