Thursday, June 01, 2006

gossip gossip gossip yuck

I found this post from last summer and knew I needed to post it again for my own sake at least! I can tell gossip is one of those stupid sins that will always be a constant struggle. Talking about the book, Free to Disagree.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Well this started out as a reply to comments on my last post on this book but I just kept typing and typing so I decided to just post it:) Something Jen's comment made me think of was at another point in this book the author talks about gossip. Gossip was one of those things that i never felt I had a clear definition to, so I started to ignore it. I read what he wrote on it and I haven't forgotten it since. So not to preach at you or anything... but maybe it'll help you a little too:) He says, "The sin of gossip occurs when a person gives and unauthorized, distorted, or false report that influences another person to form a bad opinion about the person being talked about." I never thought about it that way, it is so true though. That definition is showing the power that our words totally have! Just by saying ONE thing about someone, we can cause a person to have a flase opinion about someone else so easily! Whether we are talking about our friends, parents, siblings... He also suggested some questions one should ask themselves in order to detect or become more aware of gossip/slander. (It's hard for me to ask these cause I tend to judge the person who's gossiping and I forget that I am just as bad as them, hopefully I can use these just to kindly talk to my friends and maybe try and make them aware, as well, when they are gossiping.) "

1. Why are you telling me this?
2. Where did you get this information?
3. Have you gome to the people named?
4. Have you personally checked out all the facts?
5. Can I quote you if I check this out?"

"(This) reminder just might be the dam that holds back the rampaging river of gossip."

No comments: